These Shrimp Tacos are loaded with plump juicy shrimp, crisp cabbage, avocado, cotija cheese, cilantro and an easy shrimp taco sauce that will win you over.
What makes these Shrimp tacos is the mouthwatering Taco Sauce! This is the same sauce we use on our Fish Tacos and it’s mouthwatering. These tacos are an easy 30-minute meal that comes together fast. Taco night will never be the same!
Suggested Ingredients for Shrimp Tacos:
- Shrimp – We used extra large 8-15 count shrimp, but the large (21-25 count) or even Jumbo shrimp (5-9 count) would work well. Keep in mind smaller shrimp will cook faster.
- Red Cabbage – the color and flavor is perfect for tacos, but you can sub with green cabbage or even a blend
- Cheese – Cotija is a Mexican cheese that is the traditional cheese for Mexican tacos. I found cotija at the grocery store next to the refrigerated tortillas. Feta is another great option but get creative!
- Toppings – avocado, red onion, and cilantro are our go-to toppings for tacos. Other choices might be Argula, Crème, shredded carrots or tomatoes!
Now Let’s get ready to Grill and prepare our Shrimp for Grilling!
First Let’s Peel and Devein our shrimp if needed and keeping your Shrimp frozen before cooking preserves the flavor and freshness so keep them iced!!
Prep your 2 Lbs of shrimp. Keep frozen, run them under cool water until thawed enough to Peel them and remove the tails. Return them to your freezer every 2-3 completed.
In a medium sized bowl mix the following:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Prep the remaining toppings by cutting as desired.
Toss Shrimp in the season mixture and place Shrimp on the ThatRack Skewers! Add cut Veggies, Onions and all other grilled food you will be cooking. You can use the flat surface of your ThatRack for elevated grilled vegs, or the ThatRack Rib sections for Corn on the cob fits nicely for street corn as another grill favorite!
Place the ThatRack with your Shrimp and cut veggies on your medium hot grill for about 11-15 minutes. Remove from the Grill when Shrimp have reached proper temperature remove and return ThatRack to your grill if needed for further grilling and assemble your Tacos with Torillias of your choice!
Our Go-To Shrimp Taco Sauce:
We use an easy garlic-lime crema with just a touch of spice from the hot sauce. If you love spicy shrimp tacos, add more sriracha hot sauce to taste. If you like it mild, add less hot sauce.
Serve this with a spoon or transfer to a zip bag to drizzle, but serving it out of a squeeze bottle makes it feel like dining out.
For the taco sauce, all you need is
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce
The sriracha gives it a little kick of spice so you can add more or less based on your preference. This taco sauce is essentially a lime crema – the perfect blend of tanginess and heat.
Combine all the Taco sauce ingredients: 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/3 cup Mayo, 2 Tbsp lime juice (from 1 medium lime), 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp Sriracha sauce, or to taste in a medium bowl or a large measuring cup and whisk together until well blended.
The Best Tortillas for Shrimp Tacos:
- Corn tortillas are best for making shrimp tacos. Either yellow or white corn tortillas will do but we love the flavor and texture of white corn tortillas best. Also, corn tortillas are naturally gluten-free which is always appreciated by those with food sensitivities.
- Flour tortillas will work if that is what you have on hand, but corn tortillas are the traditional and more authentic choice for Mexican tacos.
How to Toast Tortillas for Tacos:
- Over a Gas or Grill Flame – We love this method for authentic lightly charred edges. Toast the tortilla directly over a medium/low open flame on a gas grill or charcoal grill. Place your Tortillas on your ThatRack either flipped with your flat side facing up place one to three Tortillas on the ThatRack flat. Use tongs to rotate the tortilla about every 5 seconds. Flip as soon as the tortilla is lightly blackened on the edges and repeat with the second side. Keep your eye on that tortilla and adjust the flame as needed because they can burn quickly.
- On a Griddle – This is our favorite way to make a bunch of tortillas at once. Preheat a dry griddle to medium/high heat. You can use your ThatRack over an open flame or grill heat source to elevate your griddle to a safer heating level. Add tortillas in a single layer and toast 15-30 seconds per side until golden brown in some spots on each side.
- On a Skillet (preferably cast iron)- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use your ThatRack to elevate your skillet to a safer heating distance. Add tortillas in a single layer (a very large pan can accommodate up to 3 at a time) and toast 15-30 seconds on each side until golden and hot on each side. Use your ThatRack to safely remove the skillet and tortillas safely to a cool eating surface.
- Hard Shell Style —This is for those that simply must have the CRUNCH of a hard shell taco to be satisfied the ThatRack is your best friend simply lay medium to large tortillas over the side rails or rib slots to create either bowl or familiar fold style hard shells- bake over medium high heat for 5-7 minutes. Remove ThatRack or shells and repeat and enjoy!